Monday, April 5, 2010

Roma!

Roma - the second city in Italy that I have visited and fell in love with!



Upon my first entry into Rome back in December, I had just come from Florence and remember being entirely overwhelmed by how HUGE the city was!! I stayed at a pretty seedy little hostel very close to a train station ..so I'm hoping to make that aspect of the trip a little more enjoyable this time around ....



After doing some research, I picked a VERY intriguing place to stay this time in Rome. It will definitly be a completely different experience - but hopefully enjoyable! It is called the Orsa Maggiore for women. I would not normally choose a place that was gender specific, because I like to meet people from all genders, locations, and age groups. However, this particular hostel intrigued me because of it's placement - in Trastevere! Upon my arrival in Rome in December, the attendant in my hostel recommended this area to me right away as charming and beautiful place for young travelers to go and explore. I fell in love with that area when I visited - it felt like TRUE Italy to me! Anyway, as soon as I saw that those hostel was located in that area, had 86% satisfaction ratings among past travelers, and I would feel a little bit safer about the fact that it was only women ...I was sold! Also an interesting point, Orsa Maggiore is a 16th century ex convent inside the "International Women's House!" What interesting history! It's in an area of Travestere very close to bars, cinemas, artisan shops, and restaurants. Sorry boys ...can't recommend this one for you, but ladies take note! Orsa Maggiore runs 28 euros a night for a four person shared room - perfect for young, women travelers!





Day One:
Because I am already in the Trastevere region of Rome, I will spend today exploring this area! The neighborhood of Trastevere has been described as "the last surviving pocket of earthy, medieval Rome." The strong identity and flavor of the area is what gives it it's charm. The heart of the area is the Piazza di Santa Maria. In this piazza lies the church of Santa Maria, which is a location I will defenitly want to visit. A second church in the area is the Santa Cecilia, said to be one of Rome's most interesting churches. The statue by the altar is based on the body of the patron saint of music, St. Cecilia.



As for food for the day, I have read recommendations of trying the pizza from the "tavola calda" at Piazza Trilussa. For dessert, gelato from the Gelateria alla Scala (cinnamon being the recommended flavor!)

Also, the Orto Botanico gardens are said to be extremely attractive place to visit in the area!


I will end my first day having dinner at the place where I had the HANDS DOWN best meal of my life last time I was in Rome. It was at a very small, intimate place called Vin Allegro. The group I was traveling with had searched all over Tratesvere that night to find the perfect place to eat, when we finally settled on this place. I had gnocci, and it was the most delicious thing I've ever eaten. I had that along with truffle bruschetta ....it was to die for. The food, the wine, the atmosphere ...everything! I remember being nearly silent throughout the entire meal, just truly taking it all in. I can't wait to go back for a second round.

Day Two:

Today will be my day to explore Ancient Rome! I will go to the Roman Forum and Colosseum today. From the last time I was in Rome, I remember that you can really spend as much or as little time as you want wandering this area. We spent an entire morning there last time, and I felt as though there was even more to see when we left. I want to spend as long as I can just walking through the ruins and truly taking it all in, it's hard to fully process the history and beauty of the place without taking the time to do it. This is why I'm glad that this time I will be going through the forum on my own, making it a more personal experience.




I'll start with the entry to the Colosseum, and then move into the Roman Forum. A full price ticket into the Colosseum is 8 euros, and includes entrance into the Palatine. The Colosseum opens at 9 am everyday, so it will be very easy to get an early start on today's schedule.



Day Three:


This will be my wandering day! I would love to hit the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain and various churches and piazzas. My absolute FAVORITE part about Rome was not the museums and sculptures and art that you had to pay to see, but rather the small places I found while just walking in circles throughout the city streets. These sites cost nothing to see (other than the price of the gelato that you can't resist), but have left a lasting impact on my memory of Rome. The Pantheon, especially, located in the Piazza della Rotonda. There are several restaurants directly around the Pantheon which I will surely eat at again. The simplicity yet staggering beauty of the Pantheon captivated me upon my last visit and I want to spend much time around it again. Even on travel websites, it is mentioned that the Pantheon fits in well with plans of a scenic walk around Rome. Di Rienzo is a highly recommended restaurant within the Piazza - pricier, but worth it for the view!! It has it all; food, bar and gelato!




After wandering around the Pantheon, people watching, exploring, and visiting my favorite little cafe (Della Palma) that's right around the corner, I'm sure I'll be worn out by this whirlwind of a three day trip! I'm throwing my coin into the Trevi Fountain to ensure my next visit to Roma ....Ciao!! On to my final day; the side trip!



Side Trip:

My day-long side trip out of the hustle and bustle of Rome will be to Sperlonga! Sperlonga is a seaside town south of Rome. The town is described as compact and charming, and "a pleasure" to explore. The total population of the town is only a little over 3,000 people, making it a quaint, intimate environment. While the area does draw a lot of tourists, it will still be a joy to just enjoy the beach. The itinerary of my side trip will be just this simple; to relax.



Sperlonga is very easily accessible by Roman public transport, only about an hour train ride. I will take the train from Stazione Termini to Fondi-Sperlonga station. From the Fondi station you can take a bus straight into Sperlonga. The bus only costs about one euro! Once in Sperlonga, the beaches are noticeably clean and refreshing. From what I've read it's very easy to get around Sperlonga by foot, so there is no need to budget in money for transportation once I get there. The old town of Sperlonga is actually closed to traffic! There are vast stretches of sand covered in beach chairs and umbrellas. There are restaurants, shops, and most importantly ...the BEACH! What a joy to be able to relax on the nice sand after three busy days of walking, exploring, and navigating Rome. The restaurants serve a large variety of seafood, and the area is known for selling "Mozerella di Bufala," declicious mozerella cheese. Fruits and vegetables are very fresh, and there is usually a farmer's market right in the center of town. I will be putting on my sundress, a hat, buying a light lunch at the farmer's market and spending the rest of the afternoon on the beach!

2 comments:

  1. How interesting that you found a women's hotel! I think going to the beach in Italy would be awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brava- I am going to look up this hostel. I know the area pretty well and I stayed in a pensione near there, which wasn't very nice. FYI, to everyone, most hotels near the train station tend to be a little seedy...Grazie

    ReplyDelete